TO FIT WAIST 70-75 (80-85)CM
FINISHED FIT HIP 83 (93)CM
GARMENT LENGTH 58 (62)CM
7, 8 balls 50gm Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed Col 1, 129 Enamel
12, 13 balls Jo Sharp Silkroad Ultra Col 2, 717 Clinker
4, 4 balls 5-gm Jo Sharp Classic DK Wool Col 3,327 Navy
Needles and Tools
4.00mm circular needles 80cm
7.00mm circular needles 120cm
10.00mm circular needles 120cm
1 cable needle 1 stitch marker
9sts and 19rows measured over 10cm of Moss st using 10.00mm needles two strands of yarn together (Silkroad Ultra & Silkroad Aran Tweed)
Rib section at waist:
22.5sts and 25rows measured over 10cm of Rib st using 4.00mm needles and two strands of Classic DK Wool together.
Moss = Moss Stitch
Row 1: K1, P1 across row.
Row 2: K the p sts and p the k sts of previous row. Repeat these two rows.
M1P - Pick up loop between sts and p into front of it (inc 1st).
C3B - Place next 3 sts on cable needle at back of work, k3, k3 from cable needle.
M3F - Hold next 3 sts on cable holder at front of work, k3, k3 from cable needle.
Special Design Notes
1. As this pattern uses double strands of chunky yarns, it is therefore wise to use extra long (120cm) 10.00mm circular needles to accommodate the 279 stitches cast on for the base of the skirt.
2. Graft yarn joins using needle and thread (overlap yarn ends by 3cm and use running stitch back and forth). This avoids unsightly or bulky knots and darning in skirt fabric.
3. It is important to maintain a very firm tension throughout the main fabric and the rib band. The fabric will not achieve its dramatic "puff” if knitted at the wrong tension.
4. Before commencing the first round, take care not to twist any stitches on the needles (otherwise this will result in a fabric twist).
5. To avoid a gap between rounds; at the beginning of each round; K1, now pass the second stitch on the right hand needle over the stitch just knitted (as if to cast off). This action secures the circle of stitches in the round without any gaps.
Both the main fabric and the waistband rib require very firm tension throughout to achieve the dramatic effect of the pleats. The box pleats are created by casting off the sections of Moss stitch in between the cables, then folding and sewing in place with needle and thread. Although the cable and Moss stitch pattern is straight forward, working on circular needles with double strands of bulky yarns may be challenging for some.
Using 10.00mm needles and colours 1 and 2 together, cast on 279 (319) sts, place a stitch marker. This marker is to be moved up as work progresses.
Round 1: RS - * Moss 12, k6, p4, k6, Moss 12, ** repeat from * to ** 5 (6) times, Moss 12, k6, p4, k6, Moss 11.
Rounds 2 to 7: As round 1.
Round 8: (cable twist round)
* Moss 12, C3B, p2 tog twice, C3F, Moss 12 **. Repeat from * to ** 5 (6) times, Moss12, C3B, p2 tog twice, C3F, Moss 11. Work 7 rows in pattern as set.
Round 16: (cable twist row) *Moss 12, C3B, p2 tog, C3F, Moss 12, ** repeat from * to **5 (6) times. Moss 12, C3B, p2 tog, C3F, Moss 11 Work 7 rows in pattern as set.
Round 24: (cable twist row) *Moss 12, C3B, p 1, C3F, Moss 12**. Repeat from * to ** 5 (6) times, Moss 12, C3B, p2 tog, C3F, Moss 11. Work 7 rows in pattern set.
Round 32: (cable twist round) *Moss 12, C3B, M1P, p1, 3CF, Moss 12**. Repeat from * to ** 5 (6) times, Moss 12, C3B, M1P, p1, 3CF, Moss 11. Work 7 rows in pattern set.
Round 40: (cable twist round) * Moss 12, C3B, p2, 3CF, Moss 12 **. Repeat from * to **5(6) times, Moss 12, C3B, p2, 3CF, Moss 11.
Round 41 to 44: Work 4 rows in patt as set.
Round 45: (make box pleat) Cast off 12 Moss, * rib 14 (k1, p1) cast off 24 Moss **. Repeat from to * to **, 5 (6) times, rib 14, cast remaining 11 Moss. 98 (112) rib sts remain.
Round 46: Change to 7.00mm circular needles and rejoin yarns (colours 1 and 2) at beg of next round. Now work in rib as set (pulling yarns firmly when joining rib sections at points where Moss sts are cast off).
Rounds 47 to 51: Cont working in rib.
Rounds 52 to 57: Change to 4.00mm needles and 2 strands of Col 3, work 6 rows k1, p1 rib.
Round 58: Size A - Keeping rib pattern correct, k2 tog twice, *rib 15, k2 tog twice, rib 16, k 2 tog twice, ** rep from* to** one time, rib 16 (88st).
Size B - Keeping rib pattern correct, k2 tog twice, * rib 14, k2 tog twice, rib 15, k2 tog twice**, repeat from * to ** one time, rib 14, k2 tog twice, rib 16 (100st).
Cont in rib until rib section (from beg) measures 29 (33)cm.
Cast off loosely and evenly in rib using 10.00mm circular needles.
Note: it is crucial that the cast off is extremely loose to allow this garment to be pulled up over hips.
Form the Box pleats With WS facing, find the centre of a cast off section of Moss st, sew this to the centre between the cable sections. Then oversew the folds formed by the Moss stitch. Do not attach box pleats (Moss stitch folds) to main body of skirt. Repeat on all other cast off Moss stitch sections.